We don’t really want to imagine a world without coffee. It’s the only thing that makes us feel human in the morning, it feels so good on our bods, plus it smells incredible. But we’ve got 7 more reasons why coffee is so freakin’ good, y’know, just in case you weren’t already a fan.
1. It actually helps you live longer – there’s a sh*t load of antioxidants in good quality coffee, meaning that third cup of the day could actually be helping you live longer. Just don’t forget to follow it up with healthy eating and keep on doing those squats.
2. It stimulates your metabolism – some say sipping coffee can speed up your metabolism by up to 10%, meaning your body will be burning more calories day to day. Perfect if you’re hitting the gym and not seeing results as quickly as you’d like. The only downside? It has to be sugar-free coffee, so you’ll need to skip on your usual vanilla frappuccino and stick to black coffee. And the lighter the roast, the better it is for you. If you hate the taste, try it with a sprinkling of cinnamon – trust us, it tastes so good.
3. It makes your workout seem easier – while it’s definitely not a replacement for your weekly gym sessions, the stimulant properties in coffee can actually make that spin class more enjoyable and easier. So get one cup in before your gym session and you’ll come out even more buzzed up than usual.
4. It actually makes you feel happier – we don’t know about you babes, but just the smell makes us feel instantly less stressed, but it’s actually proven that those who drink 4 or more cups of coffee were about 10% less likely to be depressed than those who’d never touched the black gold. Again, it’s those awesome antioxidants making us feel so good.
5. It might make you smarter – those gorgeous little coffee beans allow our brains to work in a much sharper and more efficient way, meaning you don’t need to feel any guilt about your daily Pret visit before work. Your reaction time, attention and logical reasoning all improve – keep drinking and get that salary meeting with your boss booked in, ASAP, we say.
6. It makes your afternoon power nap SO much better – sounds weird, right? But trust us on this one. Since it takes a good 15 minutes for the caffeine to enter your bloodstream, taking your half hour power nap after drinking your favourite java is one of the best energy boosts you can get.
7. It makes your hair shinier – not one to try if you’re a blonde goddess, but coffee can actually help to remove product build-up, revealing shiny tresses underneath.
8. It looks after your peepers – again, those antioxidants and a magic compound called chlorogenic acid are working to protect your eyes from vision loss and diseases like glaucoma. Refill?